WHAT SEDATION DENTISTRY OPTIONS ARE OFFERED FOR ROOT CANALS AND OTHER ENDODONTIC PROCEDURES?
Does the thought of having a root canal make your entire body tense with fear? Would you rather endure the agony of a toothache than step foot in an endodontist’s office? Well, you’re not alone! Many people are so phobic about root canal treatment that they either don’t have the treatment or delay so long that they end up losing their tooth.
At Upper East Side Endodontists in NYC, our skilled team – including our board-certified anesthesiologists – uses the latest methods in sedation dentistry to eliminate discomfort and anxiety, so our patients can get back to enjoying their life again without persistent pain.
What are the benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
For patients who suffer from dental phobia, sedation dentistry is the ideal solution for many reasons, including:
- You can forget fear and anxiety. The fear and anxiety associated with root canal treatment are often worse than the treatment itself. In fact, many people experience intense anxiety for weeks leading up to the day of their appointment. But with sedation dentistry, you’ll know that as soon as you’re in the chair your concerns will disappear. Knowing in advance that you won’t go through that uneasy sensation is very calming for most people.
- No pain. No one likes to feel pain in their teeth, gums or mouth. With sedation dentistry, the pain is essentially inexistent. Not only will there be no pain, but the fear of pain will be gone, too!
- Easier for you and your endodontist. Nervous patients tend to fidget and tense up while they’re sitting in the dental chair, which in turn slows down the treatment. Sedation dentistry allows you to be calm while your endodontist works efficiently to provide the best treatment possible without disruption.
- Helps time fly. Being that root canal and other endodontic treatments are typically lengthy, they can be difficult to endure for patients with fear and anxiety. With sedation dentistry, the time will fly and you’ll be completely at ease until it’s time to go home!
What types of Sedation Dentistry are offered at Upper East Side Endodontists?
Our endodontic team and anesthesiologists offer a variety of sedation options. All methods are safe, effective and have been successfully used to save teeth and achieve strong, healthy and beautiful smiles.
Sedation dentistry is especially helpful in managing pediatric patients, including those with special needs. Our sedation options include:
- Local anesthesia. With local anesthesia, the area around the affected tooth is anesthetized with novocaine or a topical anesthetic and you’ll remain awake and able to respond to instructions.
- Nitrous Oxide. In this method, you breathe nitrous oxide — otherwise known as “laughing gas” — combined with oxygen through a mask that’s placed over your nose. Your endodontist can control the amount of sedation you receive, and the gas tends to wear off quickly.
- Oral conscious sedation/oral anti-anxiety medication. With this type of sedation, a medication is prescribed to be taken the day of and sometimes also the night before. Oral sedation doesn’t put patients to sleep, but it helps them stay calm and relaxed.
- IV sedation, or moderate sedation. With IV sedation, you’ll receive the sedative drug through a vein, so it goes to work very quickly. This method also allows your anesthesiologist to continually adjust the level of sedation.
- Deep sedation and general anesthesia. In deep sedation and general anesthesia, you’ll receive medications that will make you either almost unconscious or totally unconscious during the procedure.
For your added convenience and peace-of-mind, we have a state-of-the-art operating room in our office, which is accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF.org) – just like any accredited hospital or outpatient surgery center. In addition, we have an anesthesia machine to perform General Anesthesia when required.
Contact Upper East Side Endodontists in NYC today!
Don’t let fear and anxiety prevent you from having the endodontic treatment you need to save your tooth and enjoy a comfortable life again. Sedation dentistry at Upper East Side Endodontists will help ease you into a comfort zone where you’re completely relaxed during the treatment process!
For the best-of-the-best in endodontic treatment for all ages, contact Upper East Side Endodontists in NYC, where the root of our practice is unsurpassed care, compassion and comfort!